Air conditioners play a pivotal role in any household because of the comfort they provide. They keep your home warm during cold seasons and cool during warm seasons. You can buy one for a comfortable living environment. Air conditioners are also prone to certain damages. You should familiarize yourself with air conditioner common problems so that you may take swift action when you start experiencing them.
Signs of Air Conditioner Malfunctions
A breakdown of the air conditioner is accompanied by:
- new strange sounds during operation (if the impeller or bearing is broken, the filter is dirty, the pipeline has lost its tightness, ice has accumulated, etc.),
- leaks (if the drain hose is clogged, etc.),
- arbitrary shutdowns (the unit overheats, the fan or control unit is faulty, the filter is dirty),
- a sharp new smell (with the appearance of mold or the absence of a siphon in the drainage line),
- condensation on the surface of the housing (when the evaporator filter and drainage system is clogged, when the unit is installed with an incorrect angle of inclination),
- insufficient heating and cooling (if filters are dirty, fan, 4-way valve broken, etc.).
What to Do In case of a Breakdown
You should assess the situation of the damage before calling a repair expert. If you are not familiar with how your air conditioner works, you should let the repair expert carry out all the tasks.
Before trying to start repairs, the home craftsman must answer to himself if he has sufficient knowledge about the device. If the answer is yes, you need to choose one of three possible reasons for the breakdown of the unit: improper operation, installation errors, or factory defects. If the master can choose the right option, it will be clear whether to undertake an independent repair of the air conditioner or it will be more reliable to contact the service center.
Determination of the Causes of Breakdown
Split system breakdowns usually appear after improper installation and violations of operating rules. In addition, violations of scheduled maintenance times and low-quality consumables also lead to damage to the air conditioner. It is possible to independently eliminate some malfunctions in the functioning of the climate system, even if you do not have the professional knowledge and skills of a specialist.
It is possible to carry out preventive maintenance (for example, cleaning filters) and in this way prevent some malfunctions. But if you can’t fix the malfunction yourself, the best solution would be to contact a service workshop. This method will help to save the budget on the purchase of spare parts and further expensive repairs after unprofessional intervention in the operation of a complex device.…